Monday, September 26, 2016

Layer Cake (2004)

  This is going to be a short post because I am tired and my allergies are kicking my ass.

The unnamed hero of our story (Daniel Craig) is a middleman for drug dealer Jimmy Price (Kenneth Cranham).  He wants to retire but Price has two last requirements:  1) he must barter with The Duke (Jamie Foreman), an odious gangsta wannabe, over the acquisition of an exorbitant amount of ecstasy pills worth upwards of a million pounds sterling and 2) he must locate the crackhead daughter of an extremely wealthy man, Eddie Temple (Micheal Gambon).  This leads our hero into a veritable rabbit's warren of complications as the pills were stolen from Serbian war criminals and the daughter isn't so much being rescued as she is wanted as a hostage by Price.

This is probably the second or third time I've seen this film and I will tell you flat out, I did not get it the first time.  Even this time I was struggling to see where all the threads were going, mostly I think because I kept waiting for it to be funny.  I don't know what movie the guy on the poster saw but it wasn't the same one I did.  Sure, it had some funny moments but overall this is a straight-up violent film for violence's sake.  If you go in knowing that I think you'll have a better time with it.  It's damn sure stylish.  Jury's out on whether that's enough to make it good.

No comments:

Post a Comment