Sunday, January 15, 2017

Albert Nobbs (2011)

  It took me four days to watch this all the way through.  Partly because I had school and work, and partly because it's slower than paint drying.

Albert Nobbs (Glenn Close) has worked as a waiter/butler in Ireland for 30 years.  While working at Morrison's Hotel, he accidentally reveals his deep secret to a contracted painter, Hubert Page (Janet McTeer):  Albert was born Alba but adopted a male persona in order to get work and be protected from those that would take advantage of a woman.  Albert begs Hubert not to tell, so Hubert reveals a secret of his own:  also a woman living as a man.  Hubert has gone all the way, however, and even married a nice young woman (Bronagh Gallagher).  This gives Albert so much hope for the future that he starts shopping around for a suitable bride who will leave with him to open a tobacco shop.  He sets his eyes on Helen (Mia Wasikowska), a maid at the hotel, without realizing that she is actually involved with Joe (Aaron Taylor-Johnson), an alcoholic handyman who has promised to take Helen to America with him.  They need money for the trip, so Joe convinces Helen to string Albert along to try and get the cash out of him.

There are moments of lightness in the film, as the character is really a sweet, simple soul, but I kept waiting for something awful to happen to him for that same reason.  This is a character drama.  You can't have a nice person in it unless something tragic is waiting to befall them.  When the other shoe did drop, it wasn't what I was expecting and seemed like a cop-out.  I'm sure it has to do with the vagaries of fate and the overall randomness of life, but it was still unsatisfying.

Unless you're really into period films, I'd say give this one a miss.

1 comment:

  1. I don't mind period flicks. I even enjoy a lot of slice-of-life pictures. When they aren't boring, anyway. The most successful period/slice thing I can think of right now is Downton Abbey, and I enjoyed it. It can be done. I'm impressed you had the fortitude to get through this one. I had to do the same kind of thing to Superman Returns and Star Wars Ep. 2.

    ReplyDelete