Sunday, January 29, 2017

Hidden Figures (2016)

Nominated for Best Picture, Best Supporting Actress, and Best Adapted ScreenplayFile:The official poster for the film Hidden Figures, 2016.jpg  I had been looking forward to this film since the Golden Globes and I was glad it got nominated for at least one Oscar so I could see it sooner.  (Currently, my Netflix queue is averaging about four years from addition to top of the list.)

Katherine Goble (Taraji P. Henson) and Mary Jackson (Janelle Monae) work as computers for NASA under Dorothy Vaughn (Octavia Spencer).  Katherine, a certified genius, is assigned to the Space Task Group under Al Harrison (Kevin Costner).  Their purpose is to calculate a trajectory that will get a manned space vehicle out of Earth's gravity and into orbit before Russia (the USSR at the time) can do the same.  Mary, meanwhile, is assigned to the group attaching the heat shields to the outside of the module.  All three women are continually undervalued and discriminated against because of their race and sex.  All three women continually push the boundaries for what is accepted, fighting to be seen.

This film is based on true events and has a nice little follow up to history just before the end credits.  It is a very hopeful story, which is sorely needed in America right now.  Having to fight and struggle for what are basic rights for anyone else is unbelievably draining, but these women never let despair or opposition stop them from recognizing their own worth.  Like Hydra, racism and sexism never really go away, they just sprout new, more subtle heads.  The fight must go on.

Now that I've scared all of you away with my pro-feminism rant, I will say that the movie was competently made, but I don't know about its chances at Best Picture.  It is the first one of the category I have seen (all three categories to be honest) and I liked it, but I don't know if it will win.  I love Octavia Spencer in everything I have seen her in, but I don't think she'll win either.  I think the supporting nod should probably have gone to Janelle Monae.  It has a decent shot at the screenplay Oscar, though.

1 comment:

  1. Nice. My only concern on movies is like this is that racist tones can be overplayed easily, and I tend to shy away from anything with an overt agenda. However, I'll also mention that Neil Degrasse Tyson liked this film, too, and he's utterly delightful, so...I'll check it out when I can.

    ReplyDelete