Saturday, January 21, 2017

Annie Hall (1977)

Anniehallposter.jpg  So this is considered one of the best films not only by Woody Allen, but the whole of American cinema.

It's okay, I guess.

Alvy Singer (Woody Allen) is an up-and-coming comedian in New York City when he meets Annie Hall (Diane Keaton), a would-be singer and photographer from Middle America.  Over the course of the film, told mostly in flashbacks, Alvy tries to understand where it all went wrong.

Five minutes in and I could tell you.

Maybe this level of narcissism appeals to some people.  I found it obnoxious.  I do think the film has important things to say about how we try to remake the people we love in our own image but it never actually addresses the issue, just leaving it for the viewer.  Allen's character never makes any real progress and seems to be doomed to living the same loop of self-destructive relationships because he can't get out of his own way.  That's really depressing to me.  The only good thing about this movie was the number of cameos from people who would go on to be super famous.

I've never been the biggest Woody Allen fan, so maybe that's my bias but I'd say this is one classic that you can just get the Cliff Notes for.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah...I've seen a few of his movies, and this wasn't one of them. But Woody Allen Apologists always seem to cite this as some sort of Masterwork. Since I didn't like his other films, I've avoided this one, too. I understand such people, in that I have filmmakers I'll always give a shot and defend (Kevin Smith, Luc Besson). But I have only found one Woody Allen movie that gave me a chuckle.."Small Time Crooks". No LoL moments, just some chuckles. Thanks for reviewing this one.

    ReplyDelete