Saturday, April 1, 2017

The Terminator (1984)

It's time to work my way through another franchise!  Hopefully.  I haven't had a lot of luck recently with finishing things.  I'm still not through all the Alien movies and I haven't finished any of the TV shows I was watching.  It's been a rough week.  Like an "I almost walked off my job and had to file and HR complaint against my management" kind of rough.  So I'm sorry I didn't get to post anything yesterday.

Honestly, I had kind of forgotten that I already reviewed this but it's always worth it to go back and shame Christy for never having seen this film until 2012.  Originally posted 24 Jul 2012.    Christy had never seen the original Terminator.  Apparently, she's been watching T2:  Judgment Day for years convinced that it was the first one.  The "2" in the title was some affectation, presumably.  After making fun of her for a while (you can't lob a softball like that at me and expect me to NOT swing), Rob and I got her a blu-ray of it and settled down to watch some glorious 80's sci-fi.

Mom jeans were not your friend, Linda Hamilton!



Anyway, if you haven't seen the original Terminator you should be mocked as thoroughly as those jeans.  But just in case you've been living in an Amish community for the last 30 years:

A killer cyborg (Arnold Schwarzenegger) is sent back through time to 1984 from the future in order to kill the mother of the human resistance fighters before he can be born.  To prevent this, a freedom fighter named Kyle Reese (Michael Biehn) is also sent back to find and protect Sarah Connors (Linda Hamilton) so she can fulfill her destiny and become the mother to the savior of humanity. 

That's really all there is to it.  You can get it on blu-ray from Target for about $10 so there's really no reason to not see it.  The effects don't hold up as well as some of the other films from the time but they're good enough to get the job done.

No comments:

Post a Comment