Monday, September 4, 2017

Blue is the Warmest Color (2013)

La Vie d'Adèle film poster.png  Happy Labor Day!  In keeping with the tradition of this blog, this movie has absolutely nothing to do with the holiday.

Adele (Adele Exarchopoulos) is a teenager desperate to be in love but her high school boyfriend is just not doing it for her.  Then she meets Emma (Lea Seydoux), a college senior studying painting, and realizes that love is a lot more complicated than she could have imagined.

I don't know what is happening lately, but every film I have picked up has been at least two and a half hours long.  This one is three.  That is a long time to watch teenage French lesbians.

That being said, this isn't not a bad coming-of-age/coming-out film.  Exarchopoulos is a charming, expressive actress and elevates the character, who could have just as easily been grating, to a sympathetic place.  Seydoux almost feels miscast because she's such a powerhouse of intensity.  I kept wanting more about her, not the main character.

The film has a very dreamy feel to it.  There's no real sense of time passing, but it follows Adele from high school through getting a job as a teacher so it must cover at least ten years.  That could be good or not, depending on your preference.  I found it slightly jarring.

You know how I feel about character dramas so I can't really say that I loved this film but I do recognize that some people would.  The French title translates as 'The Life of Adele, Chapters 1 and 2' so maybe a sequel is be along sooner or later.

No comments:

Post a Comment