Sunday, October 29, 2017

Frances Ha (2012)

  I don't know why this is a Criterion Collection pick.  I don't get it.

The official synopsis from Netflix says "Determined to make it as a modern dancer in New York, a young woman pursues her unlikely goal with more enthusiasm than natural talent," but that's not really accurate.

Frances (Greta Gerwig) is a 27-year-old dancing apprentice who has an unhealthy codependent relationship with her best friend, Sophie (Mickey Sumner).  But when Sophie's life starts to follow a more traditional path for adulthood (real job, committed relationship, etc.), Frances is forced to confront that she has just been coasting in Sophie's wake.

I think everybody has known or has been a Frances at some point in their lives.  Your enjoyment of this movie may be a direct reflection of how irritating you find these human beings.  I will be the first to tell you that I don't like character-based dramas.  Frances also reminded me a lot of Adele from Blue is the Warmest Color, except that she was 15, not almost 30.

Gerwig is adept enough, but I thought Sumner's performance was better.  I think it was meant to seem more cinema verite by shooting in black and white, but it comes off as pretentious to me.  Maybe a more grounded style was meant as a contrast to how flighty Frances is?  I don't know.  It's a pretty straightforward story, no twists and turns, or big reveal.  If you like that sort of thing, give it a shot.  I found it a little too annoying.

No comments:

Post a Comment