Saturday, October 7, 2017

Angels and Demons (2009)

  This was the best poster I could find in my usual cursory search of the internet.  I'm not in love with it.  It kind of looks like Tom Hanks has terrible dandruff.

Professor Robert Langdon (Tom Hanks) is called to the Vatican after four cardinals are kidnapped on the eve of Conclave, when a new Pope is chosen.  A note purportedly from the Illuminati claims responsibility and threatens that the entirety of Vatican City will be destroyed at midnight.  A beautiful researcher from CERN (Ayelet Zurer) confirms that a vial of antimatter has been stolen and is most likely being used as a bomb.  Langdon must solve the clues of the Illuminati's ancient path to enlightenment before all four cardinals are killed in order to try and find the bomb.

This is based on a Dan Brown novel, actually a prequel to The Da Vinci Code but less well known until after the success of that book.  I don't know why anyone would make it into a movie, much less make three of them, but this is the world that we live in.

I suppose it's not a terrible film if you like paint-by-numbers thrillers lacking in thrills.  I think there are better ways to spend your time.  I won't be holding onto it.

No comments:

Post a Comment