Saturday, September 29, 2018

Scotland, PA (2001)

  Fun fact:  I had lost this disc from Netflix back in 2016 and found it when we moved this last time.  It was still in the envelope.  I called Netflix to ask if they wanted it back and talked to a very sweet gentleman named Gabe who told me "nah, that's yours now."

So now it's mine.  I finally watched it, after all these years, and found that it's pretty good.  It's an updated telling of Macbeth set in the 1970s around the fast food revolution.

Joe "Mac" MacBeth (James LeGros) is a lowly fry cook working for Mr. Duncan (James Rebhorn), constantly overlooked and underpaid, a fact his wife, Pat (Maura Tierney), can't stand.  She pushes Mac to be more ambitious which ends with Duncan face-down in a fryer.  Suddenly, all the MacBeth's dreams seem to come true.  They take over the failing restaurant, rebrand it, and add the modern miracle:  a drive through.  But when a police detective, MacDuff (Christopher Walken), begins sniffing around, the guilt and stress start tearing the couple apart.

It's a good concept with solid execution.  These are all "known" actors and while I personally think Andy Dick is a garbage fire, even he isn't horrible here.  It does suffer slightly from age in a way that I can't really articulate (because I didn't go to film school and don't actually know the terminology that I'm looking for).  There's something about the graininess of the film that screams early-00s even though it's set in the 70s.  Maybe it's the hair and makeup as well, but specifically what I noticed was the quality of the film.  It's one of those things where you know it when you see it.

Anyway, if you're looking for kind of a low-key murder comedy, this is a pretty good place to start.

No comments:

Post a Comment