Sunday, September 2, 2018

Valhalla Rising (2009)

  I didn't know anything about this movie going in.  It was just a name on the server.  Then I clicked it and saw Mads Mikkelsen's name in the opening credits so I thought it was going to be cool.  I had heard of Nicholas Winding Refn.  He's the guy that directed Drive, which I didn't like but a lot of other people did.

Do not be fooled as I was.  This movie is not cool.  It is boring and damn near incomprehensible without reading the synopsis on Wikipedia.

A mute warrior named One-Eye (Mads Mikkelsen) and a Norse boy (Maarten Stevenson) join a group of early Christians on a pilgrimage to the Holy Land.  They are becalmed and drift way off-course, winding up in Vinland where the natives have a less than warm reception for them.

That should have been cool but it's not.  It has almost no dialogue or exposition so you never really know who any of these people are.  There are red-tinged prophetic visions that make no sense and the whole thing is just so boring and pretentious.  Tyler gave up after about 15 minutes but I stuck around through the whole run time just to be sure that it didn't somehow redeem itself in the last ten minutes or something.  It did not.  Avoid.

No comments:

Post a Comment