Sunday, September 30, 2018

Kill the Irishman (2011)

  This has been in my Netflix queue since 2012.  That's not really germane to anything, I just thought it was ridiculous.

Danny Greene (Ray Stevenson) is a longshoreman in Cleveland, Ohio.  He strikes up a deal with a local mob boss, John Nardi (Vincent D'Onofrio), to clear a friend's gambling debt, putting himself in deeper and deeper as time goes by.  When a business venture is derailed and Danny is told that he owes $70,000 he never received, he pushes back.  A bounty is placed on his head and multiple attempts on his life are made.  In retaliation, Danny and his friends tackle the mob head-on.

This is based on a true story and I swear to God, I never thought Cleveland fucking Ohio was ever this interesting.  I didn't even know Cleveland HAD a mob presence.  Also, this might be the best role I've ever seen Ray Stevenson in.  He's not an actor that I usually give much of a damn about, but he embodied this role completely.

Not that the rest of the cast was slouching.  This has Christopher Walken, D'Onofrio, Val Kilmer, Linda Cardellini, and Fionnula Flanagan, plus pretty much every character actor you've ever seen in a mob movie.  It was way more entertaining that it should have been considering that I've never heard anyone mention it ever.  Stream it through Netflix and prepare to be educated.

No comments:

Post a Comment