Sunday, November 24, 2019

The Journey of Natty Gann (1985)

  We just started using Disney+ this week.  Tyler was more excited about it than I was because it has all the shows he remembers from his childhood like Gargoyles and Darkwing Duck and Kim Possible.  I was not terribly impressed with their opening lineup but I remain hopeful that future installments will get more substantive.  (Except for The Mandalorian, which is glorious.)

The one film I did want to see from the Disney vault is The Journey of Natty Gann.  I remember seeing the preview for it on my old clamshell VHS and wanting to watch it but I don't remember it ever being available on tape, DVD, or even as a re-release in theaters.  I couldn't even find anyone who had ever seen it.  But there it was, sitting in the Disney+ stream.

Natty Gann (Meredith Salenger) is a young, headstrong girl in Chicago.  Her father (Ray Wise), is a union organizer but since it's 1935, there's not a lot of work to be had.  He takes a job as a logger across the country in Washington state and leaves Natty in the care of their landlady (Lainie Kazan).  Natty decides that's not good enough and sets out to ride the rails across the country to find her father.  Along the way, she makes an animal companion from a wolf used in dogfights and the pair brave many hardships.

This is definitely one of the slighter entries in the Disney universe but it was a hole in my knowledge so I'm glad to have seen it.  I was definitely the kid who thought "oh, a wolf.  It would absolutely become my sworn companion should I meet one," despite the fact that I refused to go outside and was more of a cat person.  I was prepared for some casual cruelty but the movie steadfastly remains in the Heartwarming category.  Easy enough to watch with your kids but I don't know for sure if it's worth buying another streaming service.  Now, Gargoyles.  That's legit.

We're using our free year through Verizon so it remains to be seen if we keep it.

No comments:

Post a Comment