Monday, November 25, 2019

What We Do in the Shadows (2014)

  This was supposed to be part of my Halloween marathon but I didn't get it in time.  I've been looking forward to seeing it but I think it may have been overhyped for what it turned out to be.

The New Zealand Documentary Board is granted unprecedented access to a rarified subgroup of citizens for the first time ever:  vampires.  A crew follows flatmates Viago (Taika Waititi), Vladislov (Jemaine Clement), and Deacon (Jonathan Brugh) as they try to navigate modern life.  A wrinkle is introduced when a victim (Cori Gonzales-Macuer) is accidentally turned and must be introduced into the finer points of vampire society, specifically that one doesn't go around broadcasting that one is a vampire unless one wants hunters to stick a dining room table leg in one's chest.

As a mockumentary, this is top-notch.  The effects are never overwhelming, the cinematography is just the right amount of grainy, and the characters are firmly on the right side of being total dorks.  The humor is a little too awkward = funny for me but the performances are delightful.  I feel like I might have enjoyed it more if people hadn't been broadcasting that this is the pinnacle of comedy, but that is the problem with high expectations.  I don't know that I would watch it again but it was very sweet and a fun film overall.

No comments:

Post a Comment