Monday, February 26, 2024

The Zone of Interest (2023)

Nominated for Best Picture, Best Director, Best Adapted Screenplay, Best International Feature, and Best Sound    Content warning:  Holocaust imagery

Over three years, Rudolf (Christian Friedel) and Hedwig (Sandra Hüller) have built an idyllic oasis of a home for themselves and their five children.  But when Rudolf is promoted, it means a transfer and leaving it all behind.  Hedwig is adamant about not giving up their home and urges Rudolf to talk to his leadership so he can remain Commandant of Auschwitz.

This movie is a lot.  It has been getting so much buzz and critical acclaim and it's easy to see why but Jesus Hopscotching Christ is it a hard watch.

When I first started hearing about it, people said "oh the sound design is integral.  You gotta pay attention to the sound" and I thought well, that's fucking ableist but don't worry, Deaf community, there's plenty of visual horrors as well.  The other thing I heard a lot was "this is about the banality of evil" and yes.  It definitely is.  Which you would think that would mean boring, but again, saved by the horrors.  Of which there are many.  Almost every scene has something to rot your soul.  Accomplishment??  I guess??

Look, I'm trying to be funny here because it's the internet and this is primarily an entertainment blog.  I am so deadly serious right now when I say don't watch this if you are feeling down or depressed in any way.  Save it for maybe when you get a promotion or your kid wins that soccer tournament and you're feeling like celebrating.  Then watch this and it will even you out.  It took me three installments to finish it. The good news is that it's the only Oscar nominee so far under two hours.

The weight of this movie crushed me into paste and smeared me across the pavement.  At least Schindler's List gave you some kind of catharsis.  If you're going to watch them back-to-back (for God's sake, don't do this), watch Schindler's List second.  It's currently only available to rent VOD but it may still be in some theaters.  I will never watch this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment