Saturday, March 2, 2024

Self Reliance (2024)

  Hey, do you like Andy Samberg, Jake Johnson, or shows they've been a part of, like Brooklyn-99 and New Girl?  Good news!  There's a movie on Hulu for you.  Not for me, though.  I hated this.

Tom (Jake Johnson) has a boring but stable life when he's approached by the actor Andy Samberg (himself) to be part of a gameshow on the dark web.  Tom agrees to be filmed for the amusement of faceless Internet people as he is hunted for sport.  The only loophole is that he can only be attacked while alone.  His family thinks he is delusional and making the whole thing up because he can't get over his ex-girlfriend (Natalie Morales), so he puts out an ad on Craigslist and meets Maddy (Anna Kendrick), a fellow contestant.  But as the 30-day watching period draws to an end, can Tom avoid solitude?

This was not for me.  At no point did I find it funny, there's no actual violence, and I found Johnson's character annoyingly repetitive.  Apparently, a lot of the "jokes" are just random celebrities showing up as "themselves" and I don't understand why that's funny.  It's like "ha ha, these people are actors and they get paid to show up places and say things" and yeah?  That's what acting is?  So I didn't get it.  But maybe you will!  

This is Johnson's directorial debut and it was written over the beginning of the pandemic, which checks out in terms of the unfocused narrative.  Still, he is a rich white guy who's already successful so the sky's the limit to failing upward!  He no doubt has a long career ahead of him and I un-ironically wish him joy in it.  It's hard to create things.  I respect that he put forth effort and labor to bring this movie to the rest of the world, even if I didn't personally enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment