Saturday, March 16, 2024

The Edge of Seventeen (2016)

  I'm not really big on coming-of-age movies, as long-time readers will know.  This was very highly regarded, however, so I gave it a shot.

Nadine (Hailee Steinfeld) has always resented her twin brother, Darian (Bruce Jenner), for being the golden child, especially after their dad (Eric Keenleyside) dies, leaving them with just their neurotic mother (Kyra Sedgwick).  So when she catches her best friend (Haley Lu Richardson) and her brother together, Nadine loses it.  She careens from emotional meltdown to emotional meltdown, chasing a crush, pushing her luck, and generally being as self-destructive as a teen girl who's not actually interested in destruction can be.  

This is fine, if it's your thing.  I didn't find the character particularly relatable, but I almost never do.  Steinfeld is charismatic, Jenner I watched on Glee so I was predisposed to like, but Sedgwick proves why she's a legend.  Her nervous tension is palpable and if there was a Begrudging Sympathy award, her character is running for gold. 

Oh and Woody Harrelson is there.

It's currently streaming on Tubi.

No comments:

Post a Comment