Monday, July 22, 2024

Miss Sloane (2016)

  I love Jessica Chastain and I will watch her in anything but this was kind of pushing it for me.  

Elizabeth Sloane (Jessica Chastain) is one of the most sought-after lobbyists in D.C. but when she is courted by the gun lobby, she finds an unexpected line in the sand.  She takes her team and swaps sides, joining a small non-profit attempting to push a bill for gun reform.  This brings her into direct opposition with her old firm, who will stop at nothing, including murder, to win.

Eh.  I mean it's fine.  It's not going to make any arguments that will sway anybody unsure where they fall on the issue of gun control.  Mostly it's just another movie pretending its lazy writing is somehow Machiavellian.  You'll see the twists coming from a mile away but the performances are decent.  Mark Strong, Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Michael Stuhlberg, and John Lithgow are supporting and of course, Chastain is a strong lead.  

I wish I liked it more but it was kind of a slog.  It's currently streaming on Paramount+ if you want to give it a shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment