Monday, September 16, 2024

The Perfect Score (2004)

  There are some salient points being made in this movie about standardized testing and school funding but it's wrapped in such an unfunny misogynistic vehicle that I couldn't pay attention to the stuff I agreed with.

High school senior Kyle (Chris Evans) feels significant pressure to get into his dream school but his SAT score is merely average.  He puts together a crew of six like-minded individuals to break into the SAT administration headquarters to steal a copy of the answers.

Man, The Breakfast Club has a lot of sins to atone for in modern cinema.  This tries to take the same formula of one-dimensional stereotypes and add a heist plot and it just did not work for me.  As a showcase for young talent, it's a success as everyone involved in this moved on to bigger and better things.  Evans and  Scarlett Johansson became superstars.  Erika Christiansen, Leonardo Nam, and Bryan Greenberg have worked continuously as actors, and Darius Miles is an actual NBA player.  I'm glad it exists, it just wasn't for me and I'll never watch it again.

But if you want to, it's currently streaming on Paramount+.

No comments:

Post a Comment