Sunday, September 22, 2024

To All the Boys I've Loved Before (2018)

  I'm not a rom-com person.  I think we've established that.  And yet, here we are.

Laura Jean (Lana Condor) is mortified when her private love letters get sent out to the objects of her childhood crushes, especially the one to her sister Margot's (Janel Parrish) ex-boyfriend, Josh (Israel Broussard).  To throw him off the trail, Laura Jean begins fake dating Peter (Noah Centineo), another recipient and the recent ex of her nemesis, Gen (Emilija Baranac).  Peter wants to make Gen jealous and sees Laura Jean as the perfect tool.  But as the two teens spend more and more time together, lines become blurred between what is fake and what is real.

This is basically every trope you can think of smushed into one movie.  And if that's your thing, enjoy!  It has hot young people doing hot young people things!  Personally, it annoys me when people can't resolve a simple miscommunication issue because of "feelings" or whatever, but I am autistic and generally annoyed by most feelings anyway.

Condor is very good and an extremely promising talent.  This film launched Centineo's career and I wish him continued success.  There are also two sequels, I think?  And maybe a spin-off?  So it's obviously very popular.  Just not for me.  Currently streaming on Netflix.

No comments:

Post a Comment