Sunday, March 28, 2010

Repo Men (2010)

I am so sick of this trend of taking perfectly good movies and adding some cheap "twist" at the end. The good twist movies are good because they are relatively rare and present a dramatic paradigm shift that changes your impression of the last two hours you just watched. Memento is a good example of this. I didn't particularly care for the film, because I felt downright lied to, but it was a solid twist. Even the French judge wouldn't deduct points for that.

They know a good twist when they see one.

Repo Men could have been a good straight-forward action flick, not necessarily something you'd remember afterwards but not a total waste of your time. But they just had to tack on this ridiculously contrived, patently obvious "twist" ending that demotes it from 'fun popcorn flick' to 'utter drivel'.

If you want to see a movie about organ repossession, I suggest you skip on over to Netflix and check out Repo: The Genetic Opera.

I know what you're thinking: "But, Lucy, doesn't that have Paris Hilton in it? Won't I get herpes of the eyes or make the skies rain blood?" and the answer is yes, Paris is in it. You can get past that, though, because you are strong! Yes, it is a card-carrying opera (the dialogue is almost completely carried in song), and yes, her voice sounds like a cat caught in an accordion. Fortunately, she is playing a character that thinks she's a better singer than she is, the irony of which should immunize you to the eye-herpes. Sarah Brightman is in it and it's shot in a graphic novel-pulp comic style (think less Frank Miller/Allen Moore and more Bob Kane/Stan Lee) so there's that, and it's truly original.

Such cannot be said about Repo Men.

1 comment:

  1. I STRONGLY hated this movie. I caught it on HBO and figured "what the hell? it's on and I'm bored"...well....BIG mistake, HUGE in fact; I was good until the "love" scene where hero and heroine CUT EACH OTHER UP while making sexual moans and blah-blah-blah "stay with me!" moments to trick the system...HATED. IT.

    I should have listened to you Lucyano, I really should have.

    ReplyDelete