Saturday, March 6, 2010

Coco Before Chanel (2009)

Nominated for: Best Costumes

Man, between the blizzards, the flu, and the Olympics I have fallen completely behind on my reviews! As you know, the big night is tomorrow and I am very excited.

I wish I could say that about Coco Before Chanel, but I can't. Christ on a cracker, that is a boring-ass movie! It's even worse because I was expecting to enjoy it. I love Chanel's aesthetic, I like Audrey Tatou; this should have been a shoe-in. Instead, it was a complete snooze-fest. Instead of seeming like an iconoclast, Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel comes off as a smart-mouthed, surly snob. If I wanted to see that, I'd film myself. It's predictable, dull, and slow-paced. Honestly, the most exciting part of the film was the preview of The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus at the beginning. I watched that damn thing three times.

This is definitely substance over style and I seriously doubt Mademoiselle Coco would approve.

Now I'm going to go see Alice in Wonderland to shake off this movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment