Monday, January 11, 2021

True Lies (1994)

I cooked a 21 lb turkey this weekend.  Obviously, I can't eat that much turkey by myself.  So I called some friends to come over (safely) and we had a Fakesgiving.  We talked about movies and I found out that my friends had never seen Mean Girls.  So we watched that and then somehow started talking about Jamie Lee Curtis and one of the couple confessed he had never seen True Lies.  I mean, I couldn't let that go.  What kind of friend would I be if I let this person remain unaware of the blissful 90s glory of True Lies?  I'm not super happy with the quality of my digital copy.  It seemed really muddy and just not as crisp as I would have preferred but I didn't want to make guests wait while I fucked with it.  I'll probably try and find a better copy before I watch it again.  Originally posted 28 Jan 2012.Before Mr. and Mrs. Smith, there was True Lies and it was glorious. 

Mild-mannered Harry Trasker (Arnold Schwartzenegger) is a computer salesman with a lovely wife (Jamie Lee Curtis) and teenaged daughter (Eliza Dushku).  What his family doesn't know is that Harry is a federal agent engaging in intelligence-gathering missions for his country.  A spy.  With the help of his team mate (Tom Arnold), Harry investigates terrorist groups.  And by investigates, I mean blows up.  Imagine his surprise when his oblivious and bored wife becomes ensnared by a used car salesman pretending to be a spy.  Harry decides to give the little woman a taste of the life but ends up getting them both nabbed by Crimson Jihad, a terrorist group sporting nuclear weapons on US soil.

This is one of the best action films to come out of the 90's and my personal favorite James Cameron-directed.  The action sequences are way over the top, the humor is constant, and it has Tia Carrere, who is hot.  What more could you ask for?

No comments:

Post a Comment