Sunday, January 10, 2021

Horton Hears a Who (2008)

  I don't remember why I added this.  I think it might have been one of Christy's movies?

Horton (Jim Carrey) is an elephant in the Jungle of Nool.  One day he hears a voice coming from a speck of pollen on a flower and realizes there are infinitely tiny people living on it.  This information is met with great resistance by the self-designated moral leader of the Jungle, the Kangaroo (Carol Burnett).  Horton must figure out a way to get the speck to safety.  Meanwhile, down in Whoville, the Mayor (Steve Carell) has a similar problem trying to get the city council to warn the people that they are in danger of annihilation.  This is also met with outrage and disbelief as nothing bad had ever happened and nothing bad ever could.  Any suggestion otherwise is mocked and shouted down under a pretense of democracy.  Horton and the Mayor, macro and micro, have to stand up for themselves and what they believe in the face of great opposition.

I can't believe I have to say this, but this is a pretty decent way to talk to young children about disinformation, authoritarianism, mob rule, and respect for personhood.  Can't imagine why that would still be relevant for today.

The movie itself is fine.  It's not the worst thing Jim Carrey or Steve Carell has ever done.  Carol Burnett is a wonderful villain.  I could probably forget I watched it almost immediately if I hadn't watched it just after a coup attempt in the halls of my own government.  That lends it a little more gravitas than a kid's movie would normally have.

Currently streaming on Disney+ as part of their acquisition from Fox.

No comments:

Post a Comment