Saturday, January 23, 2021

Alegría (2003)

  This is a recording of the Cirque du Soleil show filmed in Sydney, Australia.  It is not the narrative feature of the same name that was produced in 2000.  

There's no plot, no dialogue, nothing linking any of the acts together.  There are trapeze artists, aerialists, contortionists, and clowns.  It is pure circus and one of my favorite Cirque shows.  The music is lovely and haunting, the costumes are spectacular, and the physicality on display is nothing short of miraculous.  They are Olympic-level performances, sometimes literally.  

The pandemic has been hard for everyone and it has manifested itself in different ways.  Honestly, before today, I would have told you that it didn't really affect me.  I never went out much, not to concerts or shows.   I don't even really miss going to theaters, now that stuff streams directly to my living room where I have a pause button, subtitles, and all the snacks I want.  But holy shit, I miss Cirque du Soleil.  

A few years back when I was going to be alone on my birthday, I bought myself a VIP pass to see Kurios at Tysons Corner.  It was hot as balls and I was dying in my stupid sundress and one of the other people in the VIP tent was a Greek Orthodox priest in full heavy black regalia.  He was just the sweetest man and a big fan of the show.  I have seen shows in Vegas, Orlando, Atlanta (I think?), and National Harbor.  I took one of the DVDs (I think for Dralion) to show my mom and she became convinced she could also juggle.  That lasted about a week.  

When this is over and we can have nice things again, I'm going to get tickets for the next available Cirque show.  I haven't really let myself think about an "after" because stupid motherfuckers won't wear masks or stay home but we're finally starting to see some traction with vaccination.  There is a light, people!  Soon, we can once again marvel at tiny, synchronized athletes dressed as ants juggling beach balls painted like okra with their feet.  The time is coming!  WE SHALL BE FREE!

No comments:

Post a Comment