Saturday, September 15, 2012

ParaNorman (2012)

Nominated for:  Best Animated Feature    Monday night was date night for me and Rob.  After a lovely dinner, we went to see ParaNorman.  I had wanted to see this since it came out and was worried I was going to miss it in theaters.  Now I think I probably shouldn't have bothered.

Norman (Kodi Smit-McPhee) is a kid with a problem.  He sees and talks to ghosts and his whole town knows it.  Labelled a freak at school and misunderstood by his parents at home, Norman doesn't fit in. Fellow outcast Neill (Tucker Albrizzi), ostrasized for being fat, befriends the lonely boy despite Norman's resistance.  Then his creepy uncle Prendergast (John Goodman) tells him that the town of Blithe Hollow's local legend of a witch cursing her accusers to living death is totally true and that Norman is the only one who can stop it. 

Unfortunately, the dimwit local bully (Christopher Mintz-Plasse) interferes and the dead rise.  Now it's up to Norman and Neil, with some help from Norman's sister Courtney (Anna Kendrick) and Neil's brother Mitch (Casey Affleck) along the way, to save their town from the witch's curse.

For a movie about a kid who talks to the dead, there was almost no interaction with the ghosts that apparently litter this town.  I'm not expecting Odd Thomas levels of interaction but some sort of side plot might have been nice.  I'm a little surprsied by how much critical acclaim it got considering how preachy it is.  Maybe my expectations were too high but this was nowhere near as good as Coraline.  I hope Frankenweenie can pull stop-motion animation out of the nosedive this fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment