Saturday, February 13, 2016

Odd Thomas (2013)

  I love this book series by Dean Koontz.  Therefore, I was very nervous when I heard they were making a movie.  The reviews were mostly pans, so I resolved not to see it at all rather than be disappointed.  Then two years went by, it showed up on my server, and I thought "fuck it, what's the worst that could happen?"

It's not the worst.  It's not great but it's not the worst.

Odd Thomas (Anton Yelchin) can see the spirits of the dead.  They compel him to hunt down their killers and grant them justice.  He can also see other malevolent entities he calls bodachs.  Their presence indicates something very nasty is coming, since they feed on carnage.  When Odd sees a host of bodachs swarming around a stranger (Shuler Hensley) in town, he knows something bad is going to happen and it's up to him, his soulmate Stormy (Addison Timlin), and the sheriff (Willem Dafoe) to stop it.

This is a great cast in a middling movie and they are probably the only reason it is as good as it ends up being.  Anton Yelchin is one of my favorite young actors and Willem Dafoe can really do no wrong by me.  They are both excellent here but the script seemed to be missing some vital component that would have elevated it from mediocre action film to excellent supernatural film.  Maybe more of a sense of build-up, more menace from the villains -- I don't know, but something more.

If you've never read the books, maybe you'll like this more.  Christy did.  Like I said, it's not a bad film.  It's entertaining.  I just wished there could have been something that made it spectacular.

No comments:

Post a Comment