Tuesday, September 4, 2012

The Book of Eli (2010)

  I can't believe I've never posted a review of this movie.  I thought I had written one after I saw it in the theater, but apparently not.  Oh well.

Eli (Denzel Washington) is a mysterious drifter in a post-apocalyptic wasteland.  After wandering into town to charge his iPod, Eli draws the notice of Head Honcho Carnegie (Gary Oldman).  Carnegie is always on the lookout for books, one in particular with the power to turn men into slaves.  Eli is in possession of such a book but will not part with it for money nor love, even when the latter is being offered by Carnegie's indentured servent Solara (Mila Kunis).  He has a sacred mission to take the book west, where it will be cared for. 

The nuclear wasteland is very nicely realized here, with much thought and care devoted to the various types of survivors.  I would have been okay with just that kind of Mad Max story but I found myself annoyed by the importance given to the book.  **SPOILER ALERT** (It's a Bible.)  I thought it was pandering at best.  At worst, it spoke to an agenda I didn't share.

I love seeing Denzel as a knife-wielding badass but it was nice to see Mila Kunis branch out and try some new things.  Of course, now after Black Swan, no one doubts her as a talent but back in January 2010, she was still just Jackie from That 70's Show to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment