Tuesday, December 25, 2018

The Artist (2011)

Extra post for Christmas!  Yay!
I hadn't realized when I first watched this, but it is basically another version of A Star is Born.  The most recent remake is burning up everyone's Best Of list for the year.  I put the 1937  original in my queue just so I had a basis for comparison but I'm sure I'll see the Lady Gaga version eventually.

Anyway, The Artist remains an absolutely stunning film.  This time around I noticed so many more little details that I missed the first time.  I still think John Goodman got robbed of an Oscar for his work here.

If you're wondering why the last few posts have been a little off, I'm visiting my family for Christmas and I don't have the same level of functionality that I do at home.  Check back next week and they'll be fixed.

Originally posted 29 Jul 13.    Nominated for:  Best Picture, Best Actor, Best Supporting Actress, Best Director, Best Original Screenplay, Best Cinematography, Best Editing, Best Art Direction, Best Costumes, and Best Original Score

This movie made me remember why I love old films.  It is absolutely perfect in every frame. 

Silent film star George Valentin (Jean Dujardin) is at the top of his game in 1927 when he bumps into pretty Peppy Miller (Berenice Bejo) while signing autographs.  He thinks nothing of the resulting Variety spread but for Peppy, it's the start of a whole career.  Initially cold, studio boss Al Zimmer (John Goodman) warms up to the starlet and decides to make her the face of their rebranding as a "talkies only" studio.  George is not thrilled to be told he has to completely change and, as his star wanes, becomes more bitter and resentful. 

This movie is stunning.  If you've ever been swept away by the magic of the movies, you owe it to yourself to see this film.  There really isn't anything left to say about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment