Monday, October 7, 2013

The Conjuring (2013)

  This has been a good year for horror fans.  It has not been a great year for me getting to see stuff in theaters, but thankfully, I have people who are able to acquire things for me.  Rob is in the final stages of getting his RAID back up and running, but for now I have Christy's new beau to provide me with the scary cinematic treats I crave.

The Perron family thinks they've got it made when they move into a lakeside house.  It's definitely a fixer-upper, but with five daughters running around, Roger (Ron Livingston) and Carolyn (Lili Taylor) need all the space they can get.  What their realtor failed to inform them, however, is that the house is already occupied by the lingering spirits of the dead.  After a series of manifestations, Carolyn seeks out renowned demonologists Ed and Lorraine Warren (Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga).

I really enjoyed this film.  The make-up work was outstanding, I appreciated the use of practical effects over CGI (even though there were a couple), and the set design was super-creepy.  I don't know whose job it was to make the Annabelle doll look like the most evil thing imaginable, but they went above and beyond.  Excellent work.  It is ostensibly based on a true story, which made Christy hyperventilate.  I think it scared her more than Sinister.

The only thing that threatened my enjoyment of the film was that I couldn't stop counting the references to other horror movies.  I don't think any of it was overt, but there were a number of things that reminded me of other movies, from Halloween to Paranormal Activity.  It was like Cabin in the Woods without the meta-humor. It is a damn good movie, however, and I will be adding it to my Christmas wish list.

No comments:

Post a Comment