Monday, February 10, 2014

20 Feet from Stardom (2013)

Nominated for:  Best Documentary    This is my pick for the best documentary of the year.  I enjoyed this film so much.  

Take your favorite song.  Play it in your head for a second.  Now mentally strip out the background vocals.  Does it still sound as good, or does it seem flatter, less vibrant?  Now name me any background singer.

Don't worry, I couldn't think of one, either. 

This film focuses on three main backup singers:  Merry Clayton, Darlene Love, and Lisa Fischer.  Each one of these women has more talent in their little finger than I have in my entire body and yet, recognition is something that they do not get.  Darlene Love was just eighteen-years-old when she started singing for Phil Spector, who promptly recorded her voice and slapped someone else's name on it.  Lisa Fischer won a Grammy in 1991 for her solo record but couldn't make that narrow window for a second album before public attention moved elsewhere.  You would think that would make these women bitter or angry, but they're not.  Their dedication and love of their craft shines through every word they say and every note they sing.

Fun, engaging, and never maudlin, this film completely drew me in and fascinated me.  I strongly encourage you to check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment