Sunday, March 19, 2017

Arrival (2016)

  I'm still working my way through this year's crop of nominees, mostly because I loaded my Netflix queue and I can't add any new ones until I clear some of them out, including the Christy Experiment picks if you guys were wondering what happened to those.  They're coming.  Just not today.

Louise Brooks (Amy Adams) is one of the top experts on language so when alien ships arrive around the globe, she is tapped by the Army to attempt communication.  Louise and physicist Ian Donnelly (Jeremy Renner) are in it for the pure science of meeting an alien species, but others around the globe --and in their own backyards-- have different motives in mind.

This was a fascinating film in terms of story, editing, and communication.  There is a lot of information to unpack on multiple levels and I strongly encourage you to watch the film multiple times to really get as much as you can out of it.  I have a feeling that you will see something different in it every time.

I have not been terribly impressed with director Denis Villeneuve's other work.  I found them serviceable at best.  But this is on a whole different level.

No comments:

Post a Comment