Sunday, June 5, 2011

Titan A.E. (2000)

  This didn't suck as much as I thought it would.  I had never heard good things about it and, in fact, I had forgotten about its existence entirely until I read an article that I can't seem to find right now calling it an underrated gem.  It made me curious and Netflix had it out on Streaming so it seemed ridiculously easy to just push play and decide for myself.

I wouldn't buy it but it definitely doesn't deserve to be relegated to the ash-heap of history.  It was done by Bluth Animation, who did some of my favorite childhood films, and the artwork is beautiful.  Which, sadly, you can't tell from that poster.  Trust me, the real movie is better.

So Earth gets destroyed by electric aliens and the human race has to disperse amongst the galaxies.  Cale (Matt Damon) is the angsty son of a brilliant inventor (Ron Perlman) who created a ship called Titan and hid it somewhere away from the evil aliens.  Fifteen years after Earth's destruction, one of his father's friends, Captain Korso (Bill Pullman), finds Cale and tells him that his father's ring is actually a map to the long-lost Titan but they have to get there before the evil aliens.

From there it's a pretty standard quest movie.  Again, this is probably not going to be played on constant Repeat in anyone's house but if you have kids between about 6 and 11 who still like animated films but feel too grown-up for Wall-E (side note:  you can never be too grown up for Wall-E) this might be obscure and interesting enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment