Wednesday, March 21, 2018

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)

Image result for 2001 space odyssey poster  It's unpopular opinion time!  I hate Stanley Kubrick.  Just hate him.  And all his films.  Yes, I've seen all of them.  (Except Barry Lyndon.)  No, I didn't like Dr. Strangelove.  Yes, I'm sure.  I think The Shining is overrated and only worth watching for Jack Nicholson.  If someone cut it down to a 30-minute short, it might be a good film.

I know this is supposed to be a classic of sci-fi.  Arthur C. Clarke weighed in on the script and for 1968 this was as accurate a possibility of the near future as humans could get.  That doesn't stop it from being monumentally boring.  Yes, even the part with the killer robot.  Boring.  If I didn't have to watch it for school, I'd never give it another shot.  (Tried to watch it before and hated it so much I couldn't finish it.)

Beginning with the dawn of man, the whole of human history is witnessed by ancient monoliths from the first use of tools to interplanetary travel.  Humans struggle to discover the meaning of the monoliths each time they are unearthed, attempting to keep it from their enemies while trying to understand the alien intelligence required to create these things.

It's boring.  Skip it and watch Close Encounters instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment