Saturday, February 4, 2012

BKO: Bankgok Knockout (2010)

  It's hard to get Oscar nominees this year.  Only two of them were available for streaming and they were both documentaries.  I can't even find the other three in that category and half the movies up for Best Picture are still in theaters.  Since I'm unemployed and looking at $2000 worth of vet bills right now (my cat escaped and got hurt, fractured her hard palate and almost ruptured her eye) I can't be running off to the movies every weekend.  I'm still trying and I'll get as many of them as I possibly can but, in the meantime, I'm still working my way through Rob's collection. 

I love Thai films.  Well, all the ones with ass-kicking anyway.  They kick and jump and flip off walls.  It is frequently insane but never boring.

It starts with two teams of martial artists competing against one another in front of a panel of three judges.  One is the Director of Performing Arts and another is a loud American who smokes cigars and talks down to people.  The teams are competing for a chance to go to Hollywood and work with Mr. Sneed, the American.  The good team is called The Fight Club and all its members were students of Master Udon, who recently passed away.  His son Pod now leads the team.  Fight Club wins the match easily and the team goes out to celebrate, drinking and having a good time.  Then they wake up the next morning to realize they were all drugged by the waitstaff and their cars and phones have been stolen.  They quickly learn, as two of their team mates are kidnapped by masked men, that they have unwittingly entered a tournament called Level of Death organized by Mr. Sneed so high-rollers can gamble on the kids' chances of success versus a host of enemies.  If they run, they'll be killed.  They must fight their way to freedom.

Oh, the fighting.  A symphony of choreography!  C'est magnifique!  The humor is a little broad for my tastes but I got past that easily.  Thoroughly enjoyed this movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment