Sunday, February 26, 2012

The Dead Zone (1983)

The Oscars are recording as I type this but I thought I'd take a minute to write about something completely different.   This was an absolute relief to watch after that last one. 

It's based off a short story by Stephen King, and I don't care what anybody says, the man should be limited to 100 pages.  The longer ones make great paperweights but that's about the extent of their use.  But I digress.

Johnny Smith (Christopher Walken) gets into a car accident and awakens from a coma five years later.  His girlfriend (Brooke Adams) has married another man and has a baby and he seems to have gained psychic abilities that work through touch.  Wanting nothing more than to be left alone, he retreats from the world to become a private tutor but, after shaking the hand of a Senate hopeful (Martin Sheen), Johnny is faced with a dilemma:  does he act on the vision he sees?

This was revived into a relatively successful TV show starring Anthony Michael Hall on USA Network but I haven't seen it.  The concept transfers pretty easily so I imagine it would be Netflix-worthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment