Sunday, February 3, 2013

Mirror Mirror (2012)

Nominated for:  Best Costumes    I did not hear anyone with anything good to say about this movie.  All I ever heard was how shitty it was.  I would have seen it anyway, because I have seen every movie Tarsem has directed but I admit I was shying away from it.

Snow White (Lily Collins) is an orphan living in the palace with her evil step-mother, the Queen (Julia Roberts).  She manages to get away from the castle and visit the town, only to discover that the Queen has driven everyone to destitution paying for her lavish lifestyle.  However, Snow sees an opportunity in the visiting Prince Alcott (Armie Hammer), who would be able to provide her an army to take back her kingdom.  The Queen also has designs on the Prince, seeing as he is young, handsome, and above all, rich.  She has her Executive Bootlicker (Nathan Lane) take the young princess into the forest and dispose of her, but Snow is saved by 7 dwarves, bandits whom the Queen had previously driven from town for being ugly.  They teach Snow that sometimes you have to fight for the things you believe in.

This is a mostly-cute take on the fairy tale that I think was unfortunately portrayed by terrible trailers.  Lily Collins' eyebrows are the only really distracting things on screen.  I thought Julia Roberts did a great job as the bitchy-yet-fun Queen and you really can't go wrong with Nathan Lane in anything.  People made a big deal about the "Bollywood" number at the end, but it's playing over the credits so if you want to turn that off, you're not going to miss anything.

The costumes were beautiful, as I expected but I don't know if it will win, seeing as the costume designer, Eiko Ishioka, died in January of 2012.  It will not be the first time they have awarded a posthumous Oscar so we'll have to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment