Sunday, February 10, 2013

Hotel Transylvania (2012)

  I'm down in Alabama this weekend, visiting family but that's not going to stop me from watching movies.  My mother has been trying to get me to watch this one for several weeks now but I've been kind of busy with my Oscar list.  I don't really have access to all my stuff here, though, so I thought I'd give it a shot.

It's okay.  Not great, and I can see why it wasn't nominated for anything, but it's cute.

After a bad experience with humans, Dracula (Adam Sandler) builds a sanctuary hotel for monsters out in the middle of nowhere.  However, when his daughter Mavis (Selena Gomez), turns 118, she decides she wants to see the world.  Terrified of losing her, Dracula builds a fake "village" staffed by zombie bellhops in human masks in order to scare her into staying home.  This seems to work until a random backpacker named Jonathan (Andy Samberg) finds his way into the hotel by following the shambling undead.  When boy sees Vampire Girl, they instantly click.  Dracula is less than pleased and spends the majority of the movie trying to keep his guests from finding out their greatest hunter is among them.

The movie features voice work from Kevin James, Steve Buscemi, Cee Lo Green, and David Spade.  Sadly, it also features some extremely lackluster musical numbers, especially the cringe-inducing final one over the credits.  The animation work is good but the story itself is mediocre and predictable.  I wouldn't be able to watch this repeatedly but it's good for a one-time use.

No comments:

Post a Comment