Saturday, February 9, 2013

The Fast and the Furious (2001)

  After seeing Bullet to the Head, I was in the mood to keep seeing dumb but flashy things.  Christy and I decided on this one, since she owned it.

Try to contain your shock here, but I have never been terribly interested in cars.  Christy, on the other hand, has actually been involved in street racing when she was in high school.  Point being when she tells me something is a good car movie, I am forced to believe her.

This is a shitty everything-else movie, however.  Paul Walker has got to be one of the worst actors to ever think "I'm too pretty to do real work."  Maybe they could have made something compelling here but then they would have had less time to show suped-up cars and girls in skimpy clothes.  Priorities.

Ben (Paul Walker) is an undercover cop assigned to infiltrate the street racing sub-culture to find out who is using their mad driving skills to rip off semis full of expensive electronics.  So he starts hitting on the sister (Jordana Brewster) of one of them and then loses his car in a race.  Because he actually sucks at racing.  However, the brother, Dom (Vin Diesel) thinks it's adorable and adopts him like a pet bunny.  Ben sucks even harder at being a cop than being a racer and it takes him the entire running time of the movie to figure out who is actually pulling off the heists.  The movie ends with absolutely no resolution but does have a kickass stunt with a train. 

I don't know if I would ever watch 2-6 but it's not bad for mindless entertainment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment