Sunday, April 27, 2014

Chariots of Fire (1981)

  This might have one of the most iconic theme songs of all time, but it has to be one of the most boring movies I have ever seen.

Based on the true story of British Olympic runners Harold Abrahams (Ben Cross) and Eric Liddell (Ian Charleson), the movie chronicles some of the obstacles both men faced to get to the ceremonial Games.  Abrahams, a Cambridge scholar with a chip on his shoulder, runs to combat the rampant anti-semitism he faces from staff and society, while Liddell, a devout Evangelical, struggles with putting his training ahead of his missionary work.

Two and a half hours of people talking about running.  That's what this movie is.  I thought watching golf was boring, but this....It's enough to make you pull out your hair.  And it won Best Picture.  Against (*checks Wikipedia*) Raiders of the Lost Ark?!  Are you fucking kidding me?  I am now retroactively angry about something that happened before I was born.  Ugh.

I guess if you're really into the Olympics or track and field events, this movie might hold some appeal.  I just don't get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment