Sunday, April 13, 2014

Oculus (2014)

  Before I describe this movie, which I quite enjoyed, let me tell you my accompanying theater experience.  As many of you regular readers know, Rob and Christy despise watching horror movies with me.  When I brought up the topic of this movie, I got a resounding chorus of "No!".  During a going away party for a co-worker on Friday, a couple of people mentioned that they were going to go see it and would I like to join.  Hell yes, I would.  

The person to my right covered her eyes for a solid three-quarters of the movie and legit screamed once.  The person to my left kept telling me I was a sick person for laughing.  That's when I realized that I apparently cause Rob and Christy behavior in other people. 

While Tim (Brenton Thwaites) has spent most of his life in a mental institution coming to grips with the fact that he shot his father (Rory Cochrane), his sister Kaylie (Karen Gillan) has devoted her time to obsessively tracking down the antique mirror she believes is actually responsible.  Tim is released the day she finally finds it.  She plans to objectively prove that the mirror is haunted before destroying it for good.  Tim doesn't want to jeopardize his newfound mental health but cannot deny there is something dangerous about the glass. 

The human brain is an amazing thing.  Everything you see, you touch, you experience is created by your brain.  Everyone has their own personal reality, a microcosm in their skull.  So when something messes directly with the brain, it affects everything else about that person.  This movie skillfully blends together memory and delusion in the characters, forcing them to question what is real and what is a projection.  The theme of coping with childhood loss by confronting the supernatural has been done before, as has the bending of reality, but Oculus handles both elements adroitly.  The ending is sadly predictable and takes away from the movie as a whole but everything up to that point is very entertaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment