Monday, April 28, 2014

The Guard (2011)

  This is one of the funniest movies I have ever seen.  It's one of those films that's so quick, I'll have to watch it a couple more times just to make sure I heard all the jokes.  At one point, I had to pause it because I was laughing so hard I though I was going to miss the entire rest of the scene.

Sergeant Boyle (Brendan Gleeson) is an Irish policeman with what can best be described as "an unconventional attitude".  He straight up does not give a fuck.  He's rude, racist, and doesn't care about authority.  When FBI agent Wendell Everett (Don Cheadle) comes to Boyle's town to try and catch a drug smuggling ring consisting of three wanted criminals (Liam Cunningham, Mark Strong and David Wilmot), he immediately takes a dislike to the offensive cop, but can't deny Boyle's talent for uncovering a mystery.

Have you ever met somebody who was so over-the-top offensive you couldn't actually be offended by anything they said?  That's pretty much who Gleeson's character is.  Cheadle is here to play the straight man, a fish out of water American who just wants to do a job and go home.  But the real shining star here is Mark Strong, who just has to be one of the all time greatest English villains to ever be on film.  He is so good at pretending to be professionally evil, and also, put out by other people lack of evil professionalism.  No wonder they got him for those Jaguar commercials.

If you can find this one, get it.  Well worth the money, in my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment