Saturday, October 4, 2014

The Devil's Own (1997)

  This was one of those movies that came out when I was in high school that I had zero interest in seeing.  I understood what the IRA was, intellectually, but I didn't know what it meant.

As an adult, I can watch this and it means something completely different.  Not life-changing, at least not for me, but it's a decent enough film about clinging to an idea versus moving on with your life.

Frankie (Brad Pitt) was a child when his father was killed at the dining room table.  Now a man, he is one of the IRA's top assassins.  When the heat comes down after a particularly bad attack, Frankie is sent to America to buy Stinger missiles to shoot down British helicopters.  He is boarded at the home of a Boston cop, Tom O'Meara (Harrison Ford), who has no idea of Frankie's true identity.  He really starts to care for the O'Meara's, but it's all put in jeopardy when his weapons contact (Treat Williams) gets impatient for his money.

Brad Pitt's accent is terrible and it's really distracting, so I understand if you can't get past that.  There is a very young Julia Stiles as one of the daughters, however, if you like seeing actors putting in their dues.  This won't be one I own, but for once, I'm not judging Christy for having it.

No comments:

Post a Comment