Sunday, October 5, 2014

The Fifth Element (1997)

  I don't know if you guys are aware, but you can totally make requests for me to watch and review specific movies.  All you have to do is write it in a comment, or email it to me.  For example, I was asked by one of my followers to review The Fifth Element, as I had not previously done so.  And voila!  Here it is.  So don't be shy.  If you want to see something specific on this blog, all you have to do is ask.

In the future, a great evil is threatening our entire galaxy.  Only a weapon created by placing stones representative of the four elements around a fifth, a perfect being, can stop it.  The fifth element is a woman named Leeloo (Milla Jovovich), who crashes into the back of Korbin Dallas' (Bruce Willis) cab after escaping from the police.  Korbin is just an ex-soldier trying to make a living and has no wish to be caught up in a bid to save the world.  But he finds himself doing just about anything to get near Leeloo, even if it means dealing with a psychotic arms dealer (Gary Oldman), a loudmouth DJ (Chris Tucker), and a nervous priest (Ian Holm).

This is the movie that put Luc Besson on the map for me.  There are just so many amazing moments in this film.  It's incredibly quotable, as well.  I don't know a single person in 1997 who didn't walk around saying "super-green" and "multi pass" like they were things.  If, somehow, you've never seen this movie, you are really doing yourself a disservice if you wait any longer.

1 comment: