Saturday, October 18, 2014

ABCs of Death (2012)

  I'm supposed to be writing a four- to six-page paper for my English class right now.  Instead, I'm writing this blog post.  That probably says something about me, but I don't care.

This is billed as a horror anthology but it's really not.  I would only consider one short, "E is for Exterminate", as real horror out of the whole alphabet, but it is pure nightmare fuel.  Most of the others are just gory and gross.  There are a few that are legitimately uncomfortable to watch ("L is for Libido" and "P is for Pressure") and a couple that are really funny ("Q is for Quack", "N is for Nuptials") but I found the vast majority to just be kind of meh at worst and conceptually fascinating at best.

That should probably get more of an explanation.

Ok, so there are 26 shorts, each by a different director exploring death.  Some went for the splatter factor, some went for the concept.  "S is for Speed", for example, explored the idea of a woman running from Death figuratively as she dies from an overdose.  "X is for XXL" showed a woman who'd rather be thin and dead than overweight and ostracized.  To me, this is more interesting than just showing people dying in various ways.

I doubt I'd ever watch any of these shorts twice but I am planning on seeing the second anthology when it becomes available.

No comments:

Post a Comment