Sunday, May 24, 2015

Knight and Day (2010)

It occurs to me that I didn't actually describe anything about this movie, only my reaction to it.  I re-watched this recently and enough time has passed that I feel like I could be much more objective.  Don't get me wrong, this is still mediocre in every sense.  I just don't hate it as hard as I first did.  Partly because I don't feel the same disappointment seeing it at home as I did in the theaters and partly because this is a strange piece of nostalgia for me.

June (Cameron Diaz) is just your average Boston girl, trying to get home after picking up car parts in Wichita, Kansas.  She bumps into a guy in the airport and ends up on the same flight.  Unfortunately, the guy, Roy (Tom Cruise), turns out to be a secret agent on the run after stealing a very valuable piece of new tech.  Roy claims it's a frame-up, naturally, but June just wants to get home in time for her sister's (Maggie Grace) wedding.  Instead, she finds herself knocked out pretty frequently and transported to various beautiful places around the globe.

I kinda see what they were trying to do here.  It's a spy comedy but with the unwitting sidekick as the main character instead of the spy.  It almost worked.  There just wasn't enough there to really carry the story.  It's cute enough that you could probably give it a pass and it's forgettable enough that you could watch it again.  I know that's one of the reasons I did.  I couldn't remember a damn thing about this movie other than I was disappointed by it in the theaters.  Keep your expectations really low and you might enjoy it.  Originally posted 6/29/2010.    Man this was a mediocre movie. I wasn't expecting much. Just a cute, fun action-comedy with some witty one-liners and decent special effects. Sadly, the best parts of this movie are in the previews.

I am well aware of the current trend of producers sifting through deleted scenes and cutting room scrap to scrounge together trailers that may or may not eventually end up in the finished product. Sometimes those choices are baffling, sometimes they are disappointing, but I would take a million of them over the movies that only have enough plot to fill out a two minute teaser. You know the ones, they're usually horror or romantic types that give you the lead-in (girl meets boy/ghost), climax (girl chases boy/ghost), and denouement (girl gets boy/gets rid of ghost) all before some announcer says "Coming soon to a theater near you". Granted, these movies are all essentially predictable but that doesn't mean I need to know how the conflict is resolved before I pay for my ticket.

The whole point of a teaser is that it's a tease. Tantalize me with hints of how great your movie is! Lead me on with sly glances and titillating visuals!

But you'd better have something to back up all that talk, because otherwise you're Knight and Day. And nobody likes that kind of tease.

No comments:

Post a Comment