Sunday, May 24, 2015

The Last Boy Scout (1991)

Last boy scout.jpg  I feel like this is a very underrated movie.  You just don't hear people talk about it.  It's a Tony Scott action film starring Bruce Willis with Damon Wayans and a very young Halle Berry.  That's worth talking about.  Yes, it is very 90's and some of the material just doesn't land the same way but I think this should be a hit, not a miss.

Joe Hollenbeck (Bruce Willis) is a private investigator who is a hair's breadth from hitting rock bottom when his partner calls him with a case.  An exotic dancer (Halle Berry) feels like she is being followed and wants protection.  Joe agrees but soon runs into the dancer's boyfriend, a disgraced NFL player named Jimmy Dix (Damon Wayans).  Joe and Jimmy soon find themselves at the center of a plot concerning the NFL, gambling, and a corrupt senator.

Obviously, I'm not a "sports" person.  I've been to sporting events but I can't say I ever actually really knew what was happening.  Mostly, I just cheered when everyone else did and drank the rest of the time.  Even though this is technically about football, it's much more of an old-fashioned detective story.  It has too many explosions to be considered noir, but more explosions are hardly ever a bad thing.  I think it's also the only time I've ever seen a reasoned and calm Damon Wayans performance. If you've never seen this movie, you should give it a shot.  You might be missing out.

No comments:

Post a Comment