Sunday, November 29, 2015

Heaven Can Wait (1943)

Heavencwaitposter.jpg  This was such a cute movie.  I don't know why, exactly, but I felt like there was going to be more to it, so I was a little disappointed but it is worth seeing.

Henry Van Cleve (Don Ameche) has been a scoundrel and rake his entire life, so when said life comes to an end, he naturally presents himself to the Devil (Laird Cregar).  The Devil isn't entirely convinced Henry belongs and has him recount all his various misdeeds, mostly involving the trials he put his wife, Martha (Gene Tierney), through during the course of their 25 years of marriage.

This was filmed in 1943 and set from the 1880 - 1929 so the moral code on display is quite different from the one I am used to seeing.  By today's standards, Henry is practically up for sainthood.

It is intended to be a romantic film and succeeds on that front.  Gene Tierney is lovely, even if I found her overbite distracting, and Don Ameche is surprisingly good looking.  My whole life, I've always seen him when he was old.  I had no idea that's how he looked before the 1980's.  However, the real MVP of this movie is Charles Coburn, who played Henry's grandfather.  That old man was a riot.

No comments:

Post a Comment