Saturday, November 14, 2015

TV Catch Up

It's about two weeks until Thanksgiving, so I thought I'd catch you up on what I've been watching on the small screen, now that most of the Fall shows are out.

Blindspot is new this year on NBC, starring Jaimie Alexander (Lady Sif from Thor) as an amnesiac covered in tattoos that are all related to various criminal plots.  It has no basis in actual science, medicine or, probably, law enforcement but it is surprisingly entertaining.  I think it's the combination of puzzles to be solved and ass-kicking.  I could do without the quasi-romantic sub-plot between her and the lead FBI agent (Sullivan Stapleton), but it's very watchable.

Limitless is a spin-off from the movie, starring Jake McDorman as Brian Finch, a struggling musician who gets a hold of the drug NZT.  He is also under FBI care, this time in the capable hands of Special Agent Rebecca Harris (Jennifer Carpenter, who will always be Debra Morgan to me).  But Finch is also being watched closely by Senator Edward Morra (Bradley Cooper), whose motives have yet to be revealed.  Also a super-fun show to watch, mostly because McDorman is very likable.  It has another Dexter alum in Desmond Harrington, who played Detective Quinn.  This actually throws me off slightly, since his new character and Carpenter's new character are a thing, so it's like Debra and Quinn never broke up.  I keep waiting for Dexter to come up behind Finch and stab him in the neck with a syringe of horse tranquilizer.  (Someone please write that episode.)

I am not in love with Supergirl.  I get that it's supposed to tie in to the movies but not so closely that they have to pay people to guest star.  I also agree we need female-centered superhero shows.  I just don't think this is the one.  Melissa Benoist is cute but she's so shiny and happy that it makes me want to throw up a little.  Kara Zor-El is the cousin of the famous Superman but was stuck in a time vortex or something and ended up coming to Earth way after he did.  She was fostered with humans and grew up hiding her powers until she had to save a crashing plane carrying her foster sister (Chyler Leigh).  She decides to take National City as her responsibility against a host of alien criminals.

The Librarians is in its second season and I could not be happier about that.  I loved the first season and I hope this will be just as good.  This year, the overarching villain is the sorcerer Prospero (Richard Cox), a Fictional released from Shakespeare's The Tempest, who is searching for a way to repair his broken staff.  It's only four episodes in but I am so stoked.

Of course I'm watching Ash vs Evil Dead.  Hell, it's the only real reason I pay for Starz.  I need more Bruce Campbell fighting legions of undead and middle aged flab in my life.  If you don't, we can't be friends.

I also finally managed to see the first season of Real Husbands of Hollywood through Netflix.  I didn't have really high hopes but I figured I'd give it a shot since I do like Kevin Hart.  It had some moments that were wildly funny but it does tend to overly rely on the premise that Kevin Hart is a total asshole and his friends barely tolerate him.  Your mileage may vary.

Are you watching The Muppets?  You should be.  It is everything you could have asked for and more.  They've already had guest stars Liam Hemsworth, Reece Witherspoon, Kristin Chenoweth, Christina Applegate, Ed Helms, and Josh Groban.  It is amaze-balls.  This is not your children's muppets.  This is all the behind the scenes insanity brought up to the current age.  Miss Piggy is the star of a late-night TV show, produced by her ex, Kermit, and with all the celebrities and musical stars they can possibly pack in.

The only show I have yet to start is Agent X, which is a TNT action/drama following The Librarians. I don't know really anything about it except that Sharon Stone is the Vice President of the United States and I am ok with that.  The preview snippets remind me a little of Human Target, which was cancelled far too soon.  Hopefully, Agent X won't suck.

No comments:

Post a Comment