Monday, November 2, 2015

The Young Victoria (2009)

Young victoria poster.jpg  This was nominated way back when I first started this blog for three Oscars.  It won for Costume Design, with which I heartily concur.  They were stunning.

Victoria (Emily Blunt) is next in line for the throne of England, but spends her days practically imprisoned by her clingy mother (Miranda Richardson) and her mother's heavy-handed advisor (Mark Strong).  Her uncle Leopold, King of Prussia (Thomas Kretschmann), hopes to influence her future rule by forcing his nephew Albert (Rupert Friend) to seduce and wed her.  These political machinations are hampered by Albert and Victoria's unexpected love for one another.

This is one of those true stories that just gives rise to thousands of dejected sighs from impressionable girls who think that somewhere out there is their perfect match.  The reason this is so memorable is because it is practically impossible.  Despite everything, Queen Victoria managed to marry someone she loved, not just someone politically expedient.  That does not mean it happens to everyone.  I would also add that Albert was her first cousin and this is indirectly responsible for the fall of the Russian Empire.  Suck it, romantics.

I don't know much about Victoria's reign.  She's not one of my favorite monarchs so I can't say I've researched anything about her other than the most basic facts.  Most of the events in the film were new to me and not particularly interesting.  Other than the costumes, I can't really see a reason to watch it ever again.

No comments:

Post a Comment