Friday, February 17, 2017

John Wick: Chapter 2 (2017)

  No, this isn't nominated for anything and yes, I'm aware I'm really far behind in that regard.  You will allow me my fleeting moments of pleasure!

John Wick (Keanu Reeves), assassin extraordinaire, is out of the game, for real this time, as soon as he retrieves his car from some unfortunate Russian bastards.  But you can't just dip your toes into this water without expecting to be pulled all the way under.  John had signed a marker in blood to one Santino D'Antonio (Riccardo Scamarcio) to get out the first time, so when Santino comes calling, John knows what he has to do.  And then promptly DOESN'T DO IT, thus kicking off a shitstorm of epic proportions so that when he finally does decide to uphold the marker, it's so much worse for him than if he had just agreed in the first place.  But it's John Wick.  Fuck him over at your peril.  And for God's sake, don't touch the man's dog.

This will never be as good as the original, which slid in like a thief and shot my heart full of holes.  But it is a worthy successor, building on the world of the first film, and offering so many badasses just lurking around every corner.  There are tender moments, and funny moments, but the payoff here is the beautiful, glorious, stupid amounts of action.

Yes, I loved it.  Of course I did.  This is the best acting (actual, for-real acting) that I've ever seen from Keanu Reeves.  The scene with the tailor and sommelier alone was worth the price of admission.  And the one with Common and the silenced pistols!  And the sumo guy!  And the pencil, oh God, the pencil scene!  *froths at the mouth with joy*

I love this freakin' series.  I hope they do at least five of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment